Search This Blog

Tuesday 5 August 2014

Dickens.


Charles Dickens





    The one story that so captivated me,  all those years ago was a story called.....                        'A Christmas Carol'.

                 


 It was a Christmas Ghost story. There was a film made about it in 1951 and my sister Norma, took my brother Clive and I  to see it, at The West Derby Cinema,  in the village where we lived.

 What a fabulous film it was too, it was screened in black and white, which made it more realistic, particularly in the 'ghostly' scenes!

 I think we spent most of the time hiding under our coats because it was so scary.


 

 

  My sister, who was eight years older, used to read it to my brother and I in the weeks leading up to Christmas.

The underlying theme of the story was about a Miser called Ebenezer Scrooge,  Scrooge's meanness, and in particular, the way in which he treated poor Bob Cratchit, his Articled Clerk.

 He made him work very long hours in the office, which was very cold and damp he knew Bob had a large family to feed yet gave him a pittance to live upon.

 However, Scrooge was to have an Epiphany. 

On going to bed on Christmas Eve, he fell into a deep slumber, and had the most frightening dream  which illustrated his meanness. It pointed out how his life would be if carried on being so mean and it was not a nice picture.  He was visited by ghosts in various  forms, including his former partner, Jacob Marley.  I won't go through the whole synopsis as I feel most of the readers will already have read this enchanting story. if you haven't I implore you to do so.

Some illustrations to help with the story line,
The Ghost of the Christmas Present
The Ghost of the Christmas Present    
              



Christmas at The Cratchits

Bob and Tiny Tim dashing home for their Christmas

 
                                                   









The magnificent St George's Hall Liverpool

and 

Charles Dickens

Entrance

Magnificent Main Hall 

Charles Dickens used to give  readings of his works in the Small concert hall. They were called 'The Penny  Readings' and insisted that people were charged just one penny to enable even the poorest to attend.

 

He used to travel to Liverpool from London to give readings in the magnificent St Georges Hall. He loved Liverpool and said 'excepting London, it was his favourite city'. He was also quoted, as saying that  'Liverpool is a city that has a love affair with words' and described it as 'that rich and beautiful Port' !

As it is my quest to keep my beloved city in the picture of this round of Abcw  I am trying to keep a link between each post. I could have written so much more about Charles Dickens and Liverpool and will when the next relevant letter appears.

My sincere thanks to the Delightful Denise for Devising Abcw and also to the dashing Roger for administrating Abcw so diligently

 
 



 

 

34 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, Di. I had no idea Dickens had that connection with Liverpool. I, too, loved the city (as much of it as I saw) and want to return to explore more.

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Christmas Carol is such a classic. I was unaware of Dickens connection with Liverpool - makes me want to visit all the more 'that rich and beautiful Port'
    Cheers,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Leslie, there is so much more to tell, thanks for your kind words

    love Di..xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Dickens, - these are wonderful illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this delightful post! There is also a wonderful musical of A Christmas Carol. We used to see this on videotape before Christmas.
    Thanks for visiting. I have never seen a dingo myself. They are very shy. They hunt bush turkeys and wallabies and other small animals .
    Have a great week.
    Wil, ABCW Team

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed the story ..Great one for D.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too love the book and every version of the film.

    ReplyDelete
  8. quite interesting - I wasn't aware of Dickens' Liverpool connections.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is an interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Hildred,
    Thanks for your comments.
    The illustrations are very good. I scoured the internet to find them and the older sketchy ones are identical to illustrations in my sister's copy of 'A Christmas Carol'. I wish I could get hold of it.
    Sadly, my sister is now in a nursing home suffering from Dementia and doesn't seem to remember the whereabouts of her book. This is sad because she was so fastidious about her books.

    Best wishes,
    Di.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Wil
    I've seen several versions of the musical too, but I still feel the original film in black and white was the most authentic. It starred an famous British actor called Alastair Simm.
    I did enjoy the musical version though. There was an animated film with Jim Carey as Scrooge but didn't care too much for that.
    Hope you had a good holiday,
    Di.x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Susan,
    Many people aren't aware of Dickens connections with Liverpool.
    In fact, some of his stories are based on his visits around the docks and an old Liverpool workhouse, I won't say any more as I have plans to write more about CD later.
    Best wishes,
    Di.

    ReplyDelete
  13. KVVSMurthy:
    Glad you enjoy the story,
    I enjoyed writing it apart from my PC throwing a wobbler and posting pictures, not in the place that I wanted them!

    di.x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Roger...
    The Dickens I did indeed!
    I forgot to mention Scrooge's favourite adage... Bah Humbug !
    Also Tiny Tim's 'God bless us one and all'!

    Di.x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Thud,
    It's good that Dicken's fine works lives on through us all in one form or another.
    I've more of interest to reveal about CD which, I'm pretty sure you will be interested in....watch this space....
    Hope you and your family are still having a lovely holiday in the US..
    Give my best wishes to Vino Girl,
    love Di.xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gerald.
    There's a lot more to relate about CD's connections with Liverpool which I hope to write about soon, thanks for your comments.
    I've just had a good read of your blog, I particularly enjoyed reading about 'The Great Orme's resident goats, most interesting.
    best wishes,Di.x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rajesh,
    Thanks for dropping by, glad you enjoyed the post,

    Di.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lotus leaf thanks for visiting my blog and your kind comments,


    Best wishes,

    di.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My first visit inside St Georges Hall was when taking a photo of the outside and seeing me do that a local (waxing lyrical), told me I had to to go inside. I've been back a quite few times since then, stunning. The Christmas Carol was a favourite of mine as a child too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Joy,
    I'm so pleased you managed to see inside St George's Hall. it is, (as you say) 'stunning'. I wonder if you've heard the magnificent organ being played? That is amazing, the acoustics are first class,

    Di.x

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have learn Dickens at school, and read books, i love much this city.greeting from Belgium

    ReplyDelete
  22. Plenty of Dickens places in Kent Trubes, especially in Chatham etc!

    Bleak House - the real one still glooms over Broadstairs beach...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bonjour Loiusette,
    Merci pour les commentaires amiables.
    Je suis heureux que vous avez appris `al'ecole Dickens.
    II est mon écrivain préféré .
    Beaucoup de gen aiment Liverpool ,c`est une belle ville et a une longue histoire, en particulier dans le transport maritime.
    Charles Dickens a visité les Docklands et quartiers pauvres de la ville, en particuliser la Workhouse, `ou les pauvres sont allés quand ils étaient sans abri II a utilise beaucoup de l'experience qu'il avait comme theme de ses histoires.
    'Bien cordialement'
    Di.x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello Scrobs,
    Good to hear from you again. I know about Bleak House and so on, it seems CD has a pretty miserable existence as a boy, he was set to work at an early age yet didn't let his early experiences thwart his ambition to become a great writer, in fact he used the 'negatives as positives' thus using his considerable knowledge of hardship and poverty as themes to his considerable works.
    I'm sure you know all of this but just thought I'd mention it... Ha hum !
    love Di.xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Charles Dickens was a very talented writer.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great post Trubes , I have seen the film but not read the book. I never knew this about Charles Dickens either. I am beginning to wonder if I ever went to school .

    Sorry to read this about your sister ( saw in one of your comments) very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  27. A Christmas Carol is a delightful classic, and it's appreciated by all ages. Thank you for adding background to the story and the author. Your post was wonderful to read.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lindy Lou, I do agree with you about Dickens being such a wonderful writer... I can read his writings over and over again and never tire of them!

    Di.xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. hello Anne, thanks for your comments, sorry I'm a little late in replying but as you know I've been rather poorly for a few weeks but now up and ready for action,

    Love Di..xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello 'L',
    Thank you so much for your kind comments. when people take the time to make such constructive and kind comments it makes me feel so happy that my humble efforts are so appreciated.

    Thank you,
    best wishes,
    di.xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Pravine R S.
    Glad you liked the illustrations accompanying my take on Charles Dickens.
    My absolute favourite one is that of The Cratchit family enjoying a wonderful Christmas dinner courtesy of Mr Scrooge...

    Di.xx

    ReplyDelete

I usually like to reply to your comments but for some reason when i do post a reply it just diappears, any advice would be most welcome,Thanks Di x

Random Z's