Search This Blog

Tuesday 28 June 2016

Y stands for ?

Ya Boo !

 Can You believe it ? I've wracked my brain and thought and thought, then Yawned and Yawned, Yet, I still can't think of a suitable subject starting with the letter Y ..... I thought of the lovely poem, 

 Lochinvar by Sir Walter Scott which I learned to recite, when I was quite Young.....Having checked, it seems that ballad is eight verses long, on reflection I really can't believe that I actually learned and recited all eight verses.



Lochinvar.

 Lo! Young Lochinvar is come out of the West.

 Through all the wide border his steed was the best.

 And save his good broadsword he weapons had none.

He rode all unarmed and he rode alone.

 So faithful in love and so dauntless in war.

 There never was a knight like Young Lochinvar.


As the poem is rather long I shall give you a short synopsis of this delightful prose.

Lochinvar was a gallant young knight who had asked for the hand in marriage of the Fair Ellen. Her father, however, disapproved of Young Lochinvar and refused. In the meantime Ellen was betrothed to another, when Young Lochinvar heard of this, he left the field of battle to save his beloved Ellen. 


Sadly, when he arrived at her home she was already married . Being a noble Knight he asked her to dance with him, then, when the opportunity arose,  he took her up into his arms, swept her up onto his trusty steed and rode off into the night. 



         

Should you wish to read all of  this delightful prose by  Sir Walter Scott. (and I hope you do) please just google it. It is fiction but loosely based on fact during the time of a famous battle in Scotland.

Thanks to our ever Youthful Denise for devising ABCW and Roger the XYZ guy who puts so much into the running of this Yum Yum meme.... I love it .

Best wishes to all  our ABCW  friends,
 new and present..
Di xx

 

28 comments:

  1. Oh what a creative choice for Y ~ fascinating ~

    Happy Day, Week and Independence Day in the USA ~ 4th July

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol thanks for your kind comments and
      kind wishes to you for the 4th July and fellow Americans
      too!
      Di.
      ABCW team.

      Delete
  2. although having had a tough time to come up with something... you've succeeded very well!
    And tought me something I did know nothing about...

    Besides all that, I love to read what you love ;-)

    Have a nice abcwednes-day / – week
    ♫ M e l d y ♫ (abc-w-team)
    http://melodymusic.nl/abc-wednesday-18-y/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was later than usual in publishing my yarn due to my lack of inspiration.
      On reflection, I should have written in more verses,
      it is such a lovely work by Sir Walter Scott, indeed a great
      romantic writer,
      Best wishes,
      Di.
      ABCW team.

      Delete
  3. Ha, what an interesting story...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I implore you to google it Ellen, such a romantic concept!
      Best wishes,
      Di,
      ABCW team.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I try Roger, I try!
      Best wishes,
      Di.
      ABCW team.

      Delete
    2. I try Roger, I try!
      Best wishes,
      Di.
      ABCW team.

      Delete
  5. Sir Walter Scott. was a true romantic. Thank you for this beautiful romantic poem.
    Best wishes.
    Wil, ABCWTeam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed he was Wil, he really fires my imagination!
      I wish I'd had time to include more verse but sadly,
      time eluded me.
      Maybe I will have the opportunity to include it at a
      later date.
      Best wishes,
      Di.
      ABCW team.

      Delete
  6. Y..yellow submarine, I believe we have a few lurking around the city?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Thud,
      it did cross my mind but I do bang on a lot about
      our beloved city so I'm giving it a rest for a while.
      Good to hear from you again.
      love Di
      ABCW team.

      Delete
  7. Such a romantic poem. Good for You to learn that in Your Youth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Photowannabe,
      Good to hear from you again.
      It's amazing as one gets older the amount of
      prose you can recall, some times word for word.
      Best wishes,
      Di.
      ABCW team.

      Delete
  8. I love a romantic poem and the illustration says it all.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Ann,
      I like to illustrate so if the reader
      isn't aware of the prose then perhaps
      it may help..... I do hope so!
      Best wishes,
      Di.
      ABCW team.

      Delete
  9. your poem didn't end with a realistic ending that one hundred horsemen went to chase him and capture him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is the ending Ann:
      There was mounting 'mong Graemes of the Netherby clam;
      Forsters, Fenwicks and Musgravesthey rode and they ran:
      There was racing and chasing on Cannobie Lee.
      But the lost bride of Netherby ne'er did they see,
      So daring in love, so dauntless in war,
      Have ye e're heard of gallamt like young Lochinvar.

      I hope this is realistic enough ?

      If not I implore you to google 'Lochinvar' then you will be able to read all 8 verses.

      Best wishes,
      Di.
      ABCW team.

      Delete
  10. Lovely romantic story!
    Happy ABCW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Indrani,
      Nothing like a good romantic story is there?
      Thanks for your comments.
      Love Di.xx

      Delete
  11. Forbidden love and bravery always make for an interesting story. Blessings, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Indeed Rajesh and so romantic too!

    Best wishes,
    Di.
    ABCW team.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I always found Scott a bit OTT for my liking - glad you appreciated my shots of the islands.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that's a pretty daring tale. I wonder what happened afterwards. Did he leave her after loving her? Did she wander around a lost woman? Did they live happily after until death? Or did they stick it out in one of those love-hate marriages? What happened to the guy Fair Ellen left? Did he let her go, did he go seeking her out? I now think differently of Sir Walter Scott, the wicked man. lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. You such a share great knowledge to your viewer Very good poem. It was pleasure to read it religion cassette

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cercetare ceea ce altii fac online pentru a face bani. satta king play bazaar Există atât de multe modalități de a câștiga un venit online în aceste zile. Ia ceva timp pentru a vedea modul în care oamenii cei mai de succes o fac.

    ReplyDelete
  17. but make sure they have a clear sense of right and wrong. play bazaar
    play bazaar

    play bazaar

    ReplyDelete

I usually like to reply to your comments but for some reason when i do post a reply it just diappears, any advice would be most welcome,Thanks Di x

Random Z's