Search This Blog

Tuesday 2 May 2017

Q stands for Quiet

Oh!  How I love Peace and Quiet.  NOW ! 

But back in the day.........


Well ! I do now but going back several decades that just wasn't the case, I didn't know what 'QUIET' was. I believe i was the noisiest girl in the school and was always getting scolded for talking in class when I should be QUIET ! 



It wasn't that I was stupid, quite the contrary, I was actually Quite bright. Apparently, I used to get so excited when the teacher, the Quirky, Miss Nevesen, took class and she would ask questions and as  I thought I always knew the answer, I used to get beside myself with excitement, and jump up and down shrieking to get her attention, of course she ignored me and let the more timid children answer. Inevitably, I would sit glowering at her until I was told to sit in the corner and put the dunces hat on. 

Miss Neveson would wear her National costume on special occasions, I know she was Scandinavian and had come to England during WW2 with her family to escape persecution by the Natzis who had invaded their land. 

I  remember the Queen's Coronation in 1953 and Miss Nevesen wore her National Costume, she really looked lovely but not as lovely, as our new young  QueenElizabeth,  She looked beautiful.

The picture of the Scandinavian lady (left) is as near to as I can remember. After my bad start in Miss Nevensen's class we became Quintessentially the best of friends, she taught me so much and most of all, how to keep Quiet and listen 

! It's amazing how much one learns by Quietly paying attention and listening.

H R H Queen Elizabeth the 2nd. She is dressed in full Coronation Regalia.



When I was in my second year in the Infants  in Broad Square School I looked froward to friday afternoons because we had 'Quiet Time' in the school library, we could read to our 'hearts content' then pick two books to take home to read to our parents. Also incorporated in our 'Quiet time'we wer given a list ofspelling competition and my prize was.... 

After Miss Nevesen taught me how to keep 'Quiet' I was rewarded by her asking me to read a text from my favourite book, which was Heidi by Johanna  Spyri.


Heidi is a delightful story of the events in her life of a young girl in her grandfather's care. It is one of the best selling books ever written.

Notice to readers: I had written more about Heidi but my PC has decided to cut part of it off,???
There is still something wrong so my apologies for unwittingly for publishing only half of what I had originally written,

Thanks to Denise, Roger, Leslie and the tea of helpers for keeping this wonderful meme going.
Di,
ABCW team.

28 comments:

  1. I was excited to start school, too, but tended to be very quiet. When I was in grade 5 (10 years old) the teacher wrote on my report card that I was "reticent in class." I didn't know what the word meant so I was scared for my parents to see that I'd been misbehaving in class. Until they read it and burst out laughing. They went to see the teacher and asked if he was referring to the right student....apparently, out of school I was anything BUT reticent! Great memories! Oh and Heidi was one of my favourite books, too!

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Quiet' is something I can never imagine even a young Leslie?
      But then after spending your early years at home all day with Mama, being put in a room full of other kids must be quite a shock to your system...Glad you liked heidi too
      lve Di xxx

      Delete
  2. It occurred to me that the Beatles thought that QE2 was quite fetching in the day.
    ROG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed I remember that Roger, it was at the end of one the
      Beatles LP's I just can't quite remember which, Was it Help or Sgt Pepper...
      'Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl
      and I see her from Day to day',
      'Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl,
      but she doesn't have a lot to say'
      'Id really like to tell her I like
      her a lot',
      but I'd have to have a belly
      full of wine'...
      'Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl.
      I'd really like to make her mine, one day, oh Yay ,
      I'd really like her mine
      or words to that effect!
      Di.
      ABCW team.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Quiet is boring,
      Thanks for stopping by.
      Best wishes,
      Di,
      ABCW team.

      Delete
  4. Your story makes me smile... as I try to imagine you as a little very not quiet girl ;-)

    I can be very 'noisy' but most of the time I am a quiet person. throughout the years I have become more and more quiet. Maybe because the noise in my head is loud enough ;-)

    Heidi.....yes I loved to read that as wel when I was very little , sad story though but still, I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Melody,
      I think I may have sorted the problem out
      with my commenting.
      it's wonderful how we are all united through
      good literature,
      best wishes,
      Di,
      ABCW team.

      Delete
  5. Such a sweet episode from your schoold days.
    I think my teacher too scolded me for not being quiet in class.
    Happy ABCW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Indrani,
      thanks for stopping by and your kind comments,
      Di,
      ABCW team.

      Delete
  6. I remember a time the teacher took me to the hallway and shook my shoulders for not be quiet--guess I needed it.Today that would NOT happen.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann,
      teachers could be so mean many years ago but I'm so
      pleased they wouldn't get away with bullying now.
      Best wishes,
      Di,
      ABCW team.

      Delete
  7. Hello to all my friends, I apologise for not
    being able to answer all your comments, I'm still having problems with the new set-up after the mega overhaul of my PC. please bear with me,
    Best wishes,
    Di,
    ABCW team.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Teachers were mean back when I was in school , wicked PE teacher , hit me with her Lacrosse stick , not hard but she still hit me ... MRS WILSON !!!! and I was in trouble at school , didn't want to sit with the Boffs .. I cannot imagine you quiet and I haven't even met you hahahaha xxx I love the book Heidi too. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. The computer decided to go quiet. :-) Hi, Di, I've been in quite mode as I had my surgery last Friday. I enjoyed the quiet time of my room, which fortunately I had no roommate. So, slept, colored a coloring book, and read. Big, hugs, Quiet One.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Consider Play Bazaar replacing your old appliances with ones that are energy efficient. Satta King This will help you save money over time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When Play Bazaar selling gold, it is important to realize that most states govern the buying and selling of precious stones and metals. For this reason, you should always bring a valid photo id with you when selling your gold. By only dealing with a reputable dealer who requires identification, you can ensure that there is no stolen items in Satta King the store.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do Play Bazaar you have a little scientist at home? If so, you may be interested in Skyrocket's attachable microscope. This microscope attaches to your smartphone or tablet, allowing youngsters to zoom in on spiders, bugs and more. This technology allows the child to take video or pictures using the smartphone's built in Satta King camera.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If Play Bazaar dust and dirt get into the holes of a brad or nail gun while they are not in use, this can cause them to wear out more quickly. It is a good idea to plug the air inlet holes up with something to prevent Satta King anything from getting in there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Play Bazaar you can decide if the seasoning is just right or if you need to add more flavor. Doing this ensures your meatloaves and meatballs are perfect when you pop them out Satta King of the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Think about having a non-recourse type of loan if you will be partnering with someone else in your investments. You are protected if your partner defaults when you take out this kind of loan.
    satta king play bazaar

    ReplyDelete
  16. Incorporate social media into your efforts to generate more leads, and you will be more successful. Many people do all of their browsing through social media sites these days, so that's where your business needs to be. play bazaar
    satta king

    ReplyDelete
  17. A QR code is a good way to immediately engage a potential customer who is interested by a printed ad.
    Avoid anything in mobile marketing that seems too easy. satta king
    play bazaar

    ReplyDelete
  18. The parenting tips found in the following article should help you if you are having trouble training your children. play bazaar
    satta king
    play bazaar
    play bazaar

    ReplyDelete
  19. satta king
    play bazaar These weakened vessels are unable to transport oxygen and nutrients necessary for healing.

    ReplyDelete

I usually like to reply to your comments but for some reason when i do post a reply it just diappears, any advice would be most welcome,Thanks Di x

Random Z's