Search This Blog

Tuesday 4 October 2016

M for Manx .The Isle of Man.

Map of the Isle of Man.

In the middle of the Irish Sea between England and Eire (Island) is a beautiful verdant Island called The Isle of Man; people born on the Island are known as 'Manxmen/woman'. The island is 52kilometers long and 22 kilometres wide; with an area of 572 square kilometers. At the last census, there were approximately 30,000 residents, about 2000 of them claimed to be able to speak or have a sound knowledge of the Manx language.
The Isle of Man Ferry from Liverpool.

To get to the Island from Liverpool England, it is 2hours by high-speed ferry or flying from Liverpool John Lennon Airport which takes about 40 minutes.

The Manx flag bears The Legs of  Mann, the official flag since 1932. The three are known in Manx as 'ny tree cassyn (the three legs). The triskelion is an ancient symbol used by the Mycenaeans and the Lycians. The Islanders have their own parliament known as the House of  Keys which is based at a place called Tynwald Hill.


 The Isle of Man famed for the wonderful kippers they produce . There is an abundance of herrings in the seas around the island and for centuries they have been fished out of the emerald green waters and taken to the smoke houses and then to be smoked and turned into kippers.

 

The delicious silver herring .Herrings don't have to be smoked, the Scottish people are fond of them coated in oatmeal and sauteed  in butter, I like this too but there's nothing as good as a MANX kipper. 



Kippers are Herrings that are split and cleaned then put on poles in a smoke house then gently smoked over wood chippings and a special ingredient, that is a strictly kept secret amongst the smoke house people.


Delicious grilled Kipper....Yum Yum !

There is so much more to write about this delightful island but sadly time eludes me so I shall write more in another thrilling instalment whenever i have the opportunity.

My thanks to Denise who MAGICALLY devised ABCW, also to Roger who MANAGES to what he does with such MAGNITUDE ably assisted by Leslie and the rest of the team who METHODICALLY help with visiting and commenting on other sites.
Best wishes,
Di,
ABCW team.
 



25 comments:

  1. A very special place, and lots of great information in your post. Nice pictures, too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indrreed Hildred, I have fond memories of many happy holidays
    there as a child and adult, The pictures are via mr Google, so useful.
    The only pictures I have of the I.O.M ary very old and probably taken on my Brownie 123 !
    Best wishes,
    Di.
    ABCW team.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great place, Di, with amazing info! Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amit,
    thanks for your kind comments,
    Best wishes, Di x
    ABCW team.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Several times I have tried composing a post like this but failed Miserably!
    Very well Made!
    Happy ABCW! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Indrani.. your words on your blog are good
      and really undwestandable ..
      off to bed now so hope to speak soon,
      Best wishes,
      Di,
      ABCW team.

      Delete
  6. I don't know it by my own experience but have seen it on tv.. seems like a lovely place
    Have a wonderful ABC-day / - week
    ♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc-w-team)
    http://melodymusic.nl/19m-5-okt/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a delightful place to holiday Melody, I have very special childhood memories there. And oh those kippers I love them so delicious,we buy them on line, Where we live we can take the ferry from the Pier Head in Liverpool with our car and be there in 2 hours,
      Have a good weekend,
      Best wishes
      Di.
      ABCW team xx

      Delete
  7. I was aware of Manx people, but this was quite informative!

    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Isle of MANN is quite a mystical place Roger
      full of mystery and intrigue I will write more about it when I
      have the opportunity,
      Best regards,
      Di,
      ABCW team.

      Delete
  8. That's a place to visit ! It's on my travel list ! Must be beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gattina,
      It is lovely, can have lots of rain but still worth
      a visit, full of myth and mystery,
      Best regards,
      Di,
      ABCW team.

      Delete
  9. Hi, Di! When I read Manx at ABCW, I thought ooh, Di's writing about the cat, which reminded me of the black Manx named George that the Older Brother brought home from the city once upon a time. Surprise on me to find that you wrote about the Isle of Man. Very interesting. I'm going to find out how Manx comes in and whether the Manx cat originated from there. I like kippers. Next time I buy some, I'm going to check if they came from Isle of Man. Hugs, Di. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello Susie,
    The Manx cat did indeed originate from the Isle of Man and there are still a few around. I was going to write about them but I ran out of steam and time, maybe another time.
    Glad you like Kippers, a lot of people don't like them because of the bones but they add to the delicate flavour, I always cook fish on the bone anyway.
    You can buy Manx kippers on-line, which I do.
    Hugs Di. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good idea to buy kippers on line! Thanks for this interesting post. And thanks for your post about the memorials. War is hell. I hope we will never experience an other one ever.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Wil,
    Yes it's just a matter of googling 'kippers on-line' and then you can order what you want, i use an manx company called Devereaux's but I'm not sure that they deliver out of the UK. Craister Kippers are delicious, they come from Craister in Northumberland, They are slightly larger than the Manx so instead of eating two small ones just one is enough, I like a poached egg with them too...
    I too pray we never see another war although i was born juat after WW2 but i remeber my Mama and Grandma grteving for ny Uncle Jack who was just 21 when he was killed. so sad. Now all the slaughter if innocents in Syria, heart breaking,
    Enough gloom Wil, I hope you're having a pleasant Sunday, we're about to have roast chicken and the smell of it is making me feel very hungry, The cat is winding herself around ian's legs whilst he's cooking, she won't stop until she has a little sample when Ian is carving...
    Love and warm wishes, Di.
    ABCW team. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. It would be a great island to visit. Thanks for the details.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nothing like a good kipper - apart from the bones! XX

    ReplyDelete
  15. Had the best time at the TT races there once :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. do you watch The Chaser? They have questions on the geography of UK, like what is the northern town of Isle of man.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't enjoyed a kipper, Manx or otherwise, for a long time. They seem to be impossible to get here, even the frozen ones.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've had quince. Didn't like it.

    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now you can see that it does not take a large sum of cash to begin investing in your future. satta king play bazaar These suggestions are here for people just like you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. play bazaar
    play bazaar

    play bazaar It's important that your child feel loved and like they're part of the family.

    ReplyDelete

I usually like to reply to your comments but for some reason when i do post a reply it just diappears, any advice would be most welcome,Thanks Di x

Random Z's