Search This Blog

Tuesday 3 November 2015

Q stands for Ouaint and Quilp.

This Quirky house is for sale at a cool one million dollars (£795,000:00)



 It is in a village called Hertford apparently one of the most desirable and expensive place to live in the UK. It is said to be a Quaint Victorian Water Tower.



My next stands for Daniel Quilp who is an evil little dwarf  in Charles Dickens' 'The Old Curiosity Shop'.



Quilp  lends money to Nell's grandfather, who has a gambling habit .

 Nell is the main protagonist in the story and lives in the shop with her grandfather, who is struggling to raise her after her parents died.

The reason why grandfather is gambling is so that he can leave Nell enough money to keep her after he's gone.

 Unfortunately he gambles all the money away and can't repay Quilp.

 So, he and Nell go on the run to escape the dwarf.

 Quilp attempts  to find them but thankfully, is unsuccessful!

  Later, Quilp is pursued by the Police, but he gets lost in the fog and drowns in the River Thames.

 This a brief synopsis of  one of Charles Dickens  most popular stories.

 If you haven't read the story I hope you can get a copy,  it's a real good read with lot's more Quirky Dickensian characters.



My sincere thanks to the QUITE lovely, QUINTESSENTIALLY, Yorkshire lass DENISE for devising ABCW and also to  ROGER who QUIETLY, goes about the QUANTUM task of administrating this QUIRKY and interesting blog site..
Also not forgetting the team of tireless bloggers who help out with the visits!
Best wishes,
Di.
ABCW team.
and also to the

25 comments:

  1. Hi Di - a really quirky post this week! Things are "quiet" here now as daughter & SIL are home and things are back to normal. Unfortunately, though, I've picked up a head and chest cold...so even I am quiet as I can't talk. *le sigh*

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh poor you Leslie,
    I bet the gran babes shared a few of their
    germs with you, they're natural carriers, nearly every
    time I see ours I catch something.
    Hope you feel better soon,
    love Di.
    ABCW team.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If i would be that rich (in money-wise) i would have a second home in your country...

    But as long as i am without that money i'll keep on dreaming ;-)

    Have a nice abc-day/-week
    ♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc-w-team)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the words Quirky and Quaint. They have a musical touch to them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful variety of Q words and intriguing photos ~

    Happy Week to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for telling this book. I saw the movie and enjoyed watching it.'the Old Curiosity Shop" is one of the few books by Dickens I didn't read.I like his books and I am a true fan of his.
    Have a great week, Di!
    Wil, ABCW Team.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So when are you moving into the QUIRKY house?

    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Q words, and you have chosen some really special ones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's a very similar one in Rye, Trubes. Very old and similar shape too!

    Google the church, and it'll come up very close by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your comment.I know that Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings are not to everybody's taste, but I liked them and read all those books. For my English examination I had to read many books among them were books I really didn't like!

    ReplyDelete
  11. has to be quirky to buy that house for one million pounds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That must be strange to live in a round house, I just try to imagine how to put my furniture !

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not sure I could live in a round house without feeling dizzy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kinda hared to hang family photos!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  15. It would be fun to live in a water tower reading stories like the "Curiousity Shop". I'm going to see if there are photos of the inside to see what makes it worth $1 million besides the address.
    The View from the Top of the Ladder

    ReplyDelete
  16. top photo my adult ESOL students were queuing to visit an icecream factory.

    Bottom photo, students queuing to dance our NZ famous Kapa haka.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Here's a book I haven't read. Thanks for that synopsis. As I grow older I find I don't have the patience for Dickens and his long drawn out works. That's rather sad considering I read a lot of him when I was in college.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks yet again to all for the lovely comments, I'm not able to reply individually at present, but all comments are most appreciated.

    Best wishes,
    Di,
    ABCW team.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank goodness you weren't moved to recount the death scene of little Nell.

    Even Dickens nods...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dhissom Manyawar is the next Play Bazaar owner of the all Satta King. Mangement can decide the better placement for USA, New York, New Zealand and China. Interested candidates shall be carry his/her previous track record. More then 12 year of experience can beat to your compititer. Find you dream job now.

    ReplyDelete
  21. ganga cassette is very nice it has a good content and religious content. It was pleasure to read it religion cassette

    ReplyDelete
  22. Acesta poate fi timp pentru a afla play bazaar satta king
    detalii de succes a face bani online. O modalitate ușoară de a face cunoștință cu oameni care au avut succes în comunitățile de Internet care se referă la zonele de interes.

    ReplyDelete

I usually like to reply to your comments but for some reason when i do post a reply it just diappears, any advice would be most welcome,Thanks Di x

Random Z's